Thursday, July 1, 2010

More Prep

I finally have SOME pictures, more to come.  Our Bon Voyage Party at our yacht club is tomorrow night so I will try to get some pictures of that, plus more of the boat.

The all important item being brought down!  You would not believe how much debate there was around how much TP we needed.  Come to find out Mr. "I only need four squares per poop" (love you man, :) YKWYA) relies on baby wipes for the rest of the job.  We have LOTS of baby wipes aboard!


We got a second spinnaker pole.  We are still working out how we are going to rig it but we are close!  We plan to do dual pole jibes.  Hopefully figuring out how to use the set-up won't be too difficult! 


We had to buy new cowls for the dorades after losing one on the Spinnaker Cup return. Aren't they pretty?


We also had to rerun the roller furling line so we could use the eyes and block it used to run through for our second foreguy for that second spinnaker pole.  We managed to find three of these at one local West Marine and we have two more on order, due in today. 


We had to finish installing the latching handles for the reefer lid.  They turned out pretty well.  The latching part JUST clears when we open and close the lid.


Last pictures for today show how we have some of our food stored.  The cupboard on the left has dinner and lunch food and the cupboard on the right (behind the oven mitt in the first photo) has breakfast food.  This space held the microwave, which we decided not to bring.  We gained a bit more space by sawing out the false bottom.  We then had to come up with something to go across the front to hold everything in.  I came across this eagle creek bag at the Container Store.  Not only does it hold things in the cupboard but we can also stick stuff in it.  So far it is the home to the lighters for the stove and the all important kitchen timer.


I am at the point now that I need to relax and not freak out that I need to go buy more food or clothes or ...whatever.  I need to trust in all the planning we have done and believe that WE WILL BE FINE.  We are going to have plenty of food., water, baby wipes, TP, sunscreen, ETC! 

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Love the photos. Are you sure you have enough Cheerios?

Pineapple Girl said...

Hmmm... Carolyn... I'm thinking you are not my mom as she said she would not sign up for an account to add comments... So I will go with the assumption you are NOT my mom, but maybe Kim's mom? Or some random person who happens to be named the same thing as my mom and Kim's mom. :)

Anyway, it is really just one a bag from one regular (well largish) size box of cheerios. It kind of looks humongous since it is pushed to the front. I am not sure what is below/behind it but that may be the packets of oatmeal from Kim for the oatmeal eating contigent. The non-oatmeal eaters have their choice of cheerios, honey nut cheerios or special K. Plus we have all sorts of other breakfast food like muffin mix, pancake mix, bacon, eggs, sausage, french toast...

:) thanks for stopping by!

Carolyn said...

Actually, your mom.

I remembered my google account info.

Moristotle said...

FOUR squares? First, I bet he's talking double-thickness TP, and if he isn't he's nuts. Second, he's probably a light pooper, as two wipes are quite often required. Third, I personally prefer to use five double-thickness squares, which I fold over once to halve, then twice again in thirds for a total thickness of six (double-thickness) layers, the total area being 5/6 of one square. (You can check that; it's simple math.) Much thinner or smaller than that and you're risking brown fingers.
    On a boat with limited water for washing, you don't want to let this guy touch you.
    By the way, the neat folding was the advice and example of your grandfather to me, and the thickness (12 single layers, or six double layers) was the advice I overheard a motivational speaker giving to an audience of professional women I happened to be passing in the hallway. I may be a "professional" man, but I've found that this is very sound advice.

Moristotle said...

Oh, wait a minute, I forgot that the four-square guy uses Baby Wipes! What a cop-out!
    But I guess it's all right to let him touch you.

Moristotle said...

By the way, the photos show everything very neatly arranged. Are you going to take pictures of how things get to looking a few days out?
    And is there an assigned policeman or woman on board to issue tickets for serious infractions? Or are you all on some honor system by which you desperately depend on each other to be clean and nice?
    I know that you (at least) will be taking careful notes on what transpires, some of which you may even be able to recount in public. I look forward to reading the unexpurgated version.