Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hot Bunking / Tuesday

[Sent to Moristotle for posting about 15 minutes ago, at about 10 a.m. Alaska Time]

One of the interesting parts of this experience is "hot bunking."  We have more people on board than we have bunks for them to sleep in.  This is not an issue as 3 of the 7 are always up on deck "on watch" while the 4 off watch each have a bunk.  When an off watch person comes up to relieve an on watch person the person going down takes over the bunk from the person going up.  There is something really primitive about crawling into a berth that is still warm from the person who just got out of it.  Still warm, perhaps slightly smelly and at this point in the race (after a week) usually a little damp.  Whether the damp is from a leaky hatch, wet clothes, sweat or…who knows.  One nice thing is most of us brought our own pillows, which you have to remember to stash somewhere when you get up and retrieve when you go back down.  In this way at least you know the puddle of drool under your head is your own.
     There is also the aspect of some bunks being more preferable than others.  I'm sure different people have different opinions on this, which is a good thing.  The bunk I hate because it is too wide may be a favorite of one of the big guys.  As it is I am always looking ahead to see which bunks the rotation is going to land me in during the course of the day.  I've had a couple of good days where I am bouncing back and forth with one other person who is in one of the bunks I prefer, so I know I will have several hours of sleep or at least rest in one of the two spots I find most comfortable.  I know my luck will run out and I will be back in the crappy bunk where I have to try and brace myself in place with my feet and shoulders to keep from getting rolled all over.
   
The good news is we have our spinnaker up and it seems to be going okay.  Nothing else has broken!  That is pretty good considering the carnage in the fleet.  Listening to roll call it is one gear failure after another.  We are especially saddened to have lost two of our competitors from Division B.  We were going after the Tiki Challenge trophy against Tiki Blue and they are long since back at SF with an electrical problem.  We were in close competition with Bequia, trading back positions 4 and 5 in the division, and they have been forced to retire with rudder issues.

      We are oh so close to the halfway point and busting in to our halfway food and goodies!  Hopefully within the next few hours we will be at 1035 nm to go.  It is still not terribly warm but hopefully as we work our way south it will get nicer.

No comments: