Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pac Cup Prep... Is it ever DONE?

I have new latches ordered for the refrigerator lid.  We have been looking, for months, at different ways to hold the lid down in the event of a knockdown.  The lid is set up to be opened one side at a time with a middle hinge or to be completely lifted out.  The only thing holding it down is its own weight, which is considerable.  Not something you want flying through the air if the boat gets knocked on its side.  So I found some locking handles that are slightly larger than the handles currently installed. 

I ordered them from http://www.sailboatstuff.com/.  The locking arm is adjustable so I can set it to hold under the lip inside the reefer or maybe cut into the lip and reinforce the hole with metal...  Because the top plate is slightly larger than what is installed now I think my new screw holes will be clear outside the current holes. Worst comes to worst I can have the latches off center so one of the bottom holes is reused and the other is a new hole.  The top holes are a totally different configuration so I am not concerned about them.

We have an ocean race this Saturday.  The forecast as of yesterday was quite hairy.  It is less hairy today, but not what you would call calm either, 15-25 knots with big seas.  By tomorrow hopefully they will have narrowed down the wind range so we'll have a better idea of what we will be dealing with.  I have to remember to find all my warm clothes to bring along!  I also have to remember to put together the chicken enchiladas tonight with the canned chicken.  Hopefully we are going to do a final coat of paint on our kitchen cabinets tonight as well.  Maybe we will get the doors and drawers back from the guys at the shop at some point!

No comments: