Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hole in the Water...

In case you are not familiar with the definition, a boat is "a hole in the water, into which one throws money."  So here we are 39 days to the Pac Cup and we finally got the reefer serviced (mind you I have been trying to schedule this for about six months).  The service guy called yesterday to let me know he'd be out today.  He called a little bit ago and of course I was away from my desk.  I came back to a message from him "I'm afraid I have some bad news, you need a new water cooled condenser."  Mind you, my boat partner HATES our refrigeration as it draws a lot of juice.  But it is a very expensive system so I have always been loathe to rip it out "just because."  Perhaps this is the time!  I am not sure we will have this decision made by the Pac Cup so it is a good thing I have been researching ways to cool our food with dry ice, along with menu items that do not rely on refrigeration.  The good side, if we go without refrigeration it cuts our recharging time dramatically! 

Another definition of B.O.A.T.: Bring out another thousand...



I'm pasting in a picture of Paul Cayard just to cheer myself up!

3 comments:

Mid-Life Cruising! said...

Yes, so true. The expenses never stop. But it will be worth it. We'd love to hear what you've learned about using dry ice.

Moristotle said...

Paul Cayard? Wasn't he the first American skipper to win the Whitbread Round-the-World Race? Wow, no wonder the two ladies pictured with him look so pleased. We non-celebrities continually envy men who attract women simply because they've done something famous.

Pineapple Girl said...

Dad he is also kinda cute. :)