Wednesday, June 2, 2010

In the Yard Again...

So the boat is back at the yard.  I believe this time it is for the fuel / tanks after our incident with the motor dying on Saturday, and having the autopilot looked at as we have not been able to get it to work.  We figure the return crew are probably going to want that!  It SHOULD work now as we had a new ram arm installed and one of the crew got the rudder position sensor to fit on the new arm, we attempted to calibrate it twice at least, but still no luck with it.  Argh. So far I do not believe we have a decision on the refrigerator.

I see I forgot to mention Ay Caliente in my posts on Memorial Weekend / Spinnaker Cup.  I don't think I had ever actually met any of the crew from that boat and I finally did over the weekend.  I have said before that they are my favorite competitor in OYRA since they rate the same so we have instant feedback on how we are doing compared to them (plus they usually do well so if we are doing well on them we are doing REALLY well.  that is rare).  Also I have to like them since they have a big chili pepper as their logo and they have it on their spinnaker.  Gotta love people with a big logo on their spinnaker.  Makes the whole thing more fun.  So anyway I talked to I guess the owner in Santa Cruz and commented on their spinnaker blowing up at the end of the Farallones race.  His reply was along the lines of "wasn't that AWESOME!!!!"  Okay I REALLY like this guy now, so laid back and just out there having a good time!  Love it!

Wow so I googled them to get a picture and see they have their own webpage.  Their motto is "this boat was built for fun."  NICE.



4 comments:

Moristotle said...

Does the Tiki J have a logo? How does a sailboat get a logo? Is there a registry of logos for sailboats? Yacht clubs, I know from what I heard at your installation as commodore, have flags that identify them (and are registered in a book somewhere). Do sailboats have flags like that too, and would the design or image on a flag be considered a logo, or would a logo be something different? Interesting topic (at least for someone like me who knows very little about the more substantial aspects of sailing).
    Would there likely be much interest among the Tiki J crew in having its spinnaker sport a logo?
    That big red chili pepper is impressive.

Neophyte said...

a pineapple logo would be very cool...

Neophyte said...

p.s. what happened to your may 28 entry on the test run to hawai? i enjoyed that one especially. and the one on the adventures that incl. the exploding red pepper spinnaker. love your writing style! you really convey the excitement of sailing, convincing me that i and other not-yet-sailors might have fun doing it too

Pineapple Girl said...

Hey Neophyte, thanks for reading! I tried to edit the Spinnaker Cup post to say it was to Monterey, not Hawaii, after my husband pointed out the error. I could not edit it on my phone and ended up with it back in draft. It is back up, corrected, now.