Monday, April 16, 2012

Tragic News

Saturday, April 14, 2012 was a tragic day for bay area sailors.  This was a very familiar boat from my many seasons of OYRA racing, though we rarely saw them on the course as Low Speed Chace was much faster than whatever boat I was on (Stray Cat Blues, Pizote, Tiki J).  Sad, sad news indeed.  I can't seem to think of much else today.  I ordered Matt a personal locator beacon earlier today as he will be doing a couple of ocean races this year.  I hope he never has to set it off.

I'm so sad for the lost souls and their families and friends and all the people at San Francisco Yacht Club who lost part of their family.


Low Speed Chase Latitude38 story from 2012-04-16
Some of the response to the stories about this event have expressed that this was not a tragedy as these were "rich people" who died in a "useless, worthless activity." I am shocked and saddened by such judgemental comments. I know people from all walks of life and socio-economic classes who choose to spend their free time and disposable income boating. To write off boaters as the rich and question why money should be spent trying to save them after an accident such as this is an affront to what America stands for.

No comments: